Chaudhary Charan Singh Haryana Agricultural University, named after India's seventh Prime Minister, is one of the biggest Agricultural Universities in Asia. The University is a leading institution in agricultural research in India and has significantly contributed to Green and White Revolutions in the 1970s and 80s, respectively. It has a very large campus with seven research centers throughout the State. CCSHAU was bestowed with the Best Institution Award by Indian Council of Agricultural Research in 1997. The University has 8,645 acres of land (around 7219 acres at main campus and 1426 acres at outstations). It has a well developed experimental farm of 994 hectares at main campus, Hisar along with ten experimental farms, one with each regional research station covering an area of 568 hectares. Since 1970, there have been significant advances in research, teaching and extension with the creation of a strong infrastructure at its main campus and outstations.
The establishment of the Library coincides with the establishment of College of Veterinary Sciences in 1948. The year 1975 is a land-mark in its history, as the present library building - named after Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, the first Prime Minister of India - was officially dedicated to the University community in this year. The University Library, endeavouring over the last 41 years to leap forward in presenting new models in order to incorporate and emphasize the cardinal aspects of knowledge for scholarly pursuits, has carved a niche for itself in the arena of university setup. The magnificent building - a blend of functional structure, elegance and exquisiteness-is centrally located within an easy access from all colleges of the University, hostels and residential areas. The building with a floor area of 97,000 sq. ft. has the capacity to accommodate more than 3.5 lac volumes of books and bound journals in its stack areas, six big reading halls with a capacity to accommodate 650 readers, a night reading hall, 21 carrels for research scholars and scientists, a browsing hall, a bookshop, a smart class room, a committee room, 10 office rooms, bindery and spacious lobbies. It is providing reference service, CDROM database service, OPAC/Web OPAC, Internet surfing, circulation service, HAU bookshop, book bank service, videoconferencing and multimedia facility, reprography/ printing service.
The Association of Agricultural Librarians and Documentalists of India (AALDI) was founded in 1971 with an aim to bring Agricultural Librarians of the country on a platform to join hands, to address matters of professional interests in improving library system and services towards the agricultural user community. The Association held its General Body Meeting at Jawaharlal Nehru Krishi Vishwa Vidyalaya, Jabalpur in June 1973 and decided to publish a periodical entitled " AALDI Bulletin " annually to give expression to the intellectual thought of the Agricultural Library Professionals. The efforts of the Association bore fruit in 1974 when the first volume of the periodical saw the light of the day. To keep pace with the changing scenario and concept of librarianship, the title of the periodical was changed to "Indian Journal of Agricultural Library and Information Services" in 2008. Due to some reason, the Association became dormant and slowly passed into hibernation after 1993. It was revived during a workshop on 'Krishiprabha: Indian Agricultural Dissertation Repository' held at CCSHAU, Hisar in 2008. Since then the Association has been very active and has organized five National Conferences consecutively from 2009. The last National Conference was held at National Veterinary Library, IVRI, Bareilly (UP).